Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"A Mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems." (Paul Erdös)
Radicals
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> General discussion (through 2017)Message format

tmullen
Posted 5/5/2010 10:59 AM (#2765)
Subject: Radicals
Math

My students where wondering why we need to learn how to simplify radicals, particulary those with binomal radicals like 1+ sqrt(2) and such.

I could explain to them why it is important for general radicals, pythagoren theorem and such but aside from advanded math theory I can not think of a basic real life problem that would envolve divison by a radical in binomial form...... Any ideas?
jbarker
Posted 5/5/2010 11:07 AM (#2768 - in reply to #2765)
Subject: RE: Radicals
Math

I don't have a good answer to your question. My students have asked the same thing to which I reply it helps them in their future math classes and their ability to think mathematically.

I do however want to share a great program for a general class to use towards the end of this unit. It's called Zoom Alg and is free download from TI. For those of you that haven't used it or heard about it, it will simplify radicals, simplify algebraic expressions, and simplify fractions. It's a great program!
pfrields
Posted 5/5/2010 11:09 AM (#2769 - in reply to #2765)
Counts on fingers & toes

If you have a variable under the radical, that relates to Pythagorean Theorem, because you could be missing the leg, but know the other leg and hypontenuse.
tmullen
Posted 5/5/2010 11:11 AM (#2773 - in reply to #2765)
Math

Ohhh good thought, but how could you arive at a problem such as....

1 + sqrt(2)

Also, here is the link for Zoom math looks cool

http://www.zoommath.com/
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software