Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"An expert problem solver must be endowed with two incompatible qualities, a restless imagination and a patient pertinacity." (Howard W. Eves)
More on Grading
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> General discussion (through 2017)Message format

Annette
Posted 3/3/2010 2:57 PM (#2755)
Subject: More on Grading
Counts on fingers & toes

No way can I grade every homework assignment each day. I have students trade homework assigments with a friend and I read the answers aloud. Students circle incorrect problems, write the correct answer on their friend's paper, and record how many were missed. While I walk around the room checking their assignments, they are to either correct missed problems or begin to see if their mistakes were just careless errors or misconceptions. I, then, know who is having problems and how conscientiously students are doing their assignments. Before I go on to the next lesson/concept, I address the questions students have based on their review of their own mistakes. THis is the most effective way I have found to deal with homework in 20 years of teaching. It works for me and for my students.
szehnder
Posted 10/28/2010 12:49 PM (#2848 - in reply to #2755)
Subject: RE: More on Grading

Math

I like this a lot! I generally have students grade their own work then I check for completion etc...but i think the trade and grade would be much more engaging for students. What do you do with students who did not do HW or who were absent the class before?
pgarr
Posted 10/28/2010 12:54 PM (#2856 - in reply to #2755)
Math

I agree. I follow almost the same procedure except I have students "score" their own homework (handwriting becomes an issue and takes up too much time). Students are required to record the correct steps to solving a problem if we cover that particular problem in class (in another color). I reinforce with them that this work is their reference and should be kept in their reference section of their binder. Of course, I still collect the work and "study" their understanding (and if they recorded the correct answer/steps, keeping track of what I covered in class) in order to better help me assess my teaching and direct me where to head the next day - formative assessment. Their homework directs my instruction. I find this eliminates cheating and the "fear factor" of attempting work that is misunderstood. Usually, student work is complete and better than if I had individually scored. Students are able to assess their own understanding immediately.
pgarr
Posted 10/28/2010 12:56 PM (#2861 - in reply to #2755)
Math

To add to my earlier post,

Students who have missing work record the answers only and work independently to show all work prior to receiving partial credit. Students who are absent, are allowed to view the teacher textbook, score their work, and see me if they have questions - sometimes conference with other students to clear up misunderstandings.
atimmons
Posted 10/28/2010 12:58 PM (#2864 - in reply to #2755)
Math

I do not grade every single question on every single homework assignment. I will go over any problems students have on an assignment and then have them turn it in. I will choose 6 questions and grade them for accuracy but award partial credit for trying. Each question is worth 3 points and I award 2 extra points for general completion of the assignment making a total of 20 points.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software