Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." (Albert Einstein)
Vertical method of multiplying polynominals
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> General discussion (through 2017)Message format

mjenkins
Posted 1/6/2010 9:27 AM (#2641)
Subject: Vertical method of multiplying polynominals
Counts on fingers & toes

I just wondering how many teachers teach this method in addition to Foil. Also, how they do so and not confuse students. I have always used this method (that was the way I was taught) and find it more straightforward than foil (distributative property). I like using because it is very similar to solving two step equations and students often catch on faster than using foil.

for example:

x + 5
2x + 4
2x^2 + 14x + 20

Foil would be

(x)(2x) + (x)(4) + (2x)(5) + 4(5)
2x^2 + 4x + 10x + 20
2x^2 + 14x + 20
vhairston
Posted 1/6/2010 9:31 AM (#2646 - in reply to #2641)
Subject: RE: Vertical method of multiplying polynominals
Counts on fingers & toes

I taught my students to use the vertical method. That helps them do a better job at combining like terms.
pgarr
Posted 2/3/2010 11:30 AM (#2710 - in reply to #2646)
Math

I truly have no preference. As a result, I chose to demo. each method. My students said they prefered the FOIL method. Only 2-3 students in the entire class preferred the vertical method. I also felt that the FOIL method lead in nicely to Chapter 5 - factoring polynomials. Just a personal preference.
bdurham
Posted 2/3/2010 11:31 AM (#2713 - in reply to #2641)
Math

The "box method" for multiplying whole numbers (the one where students draw the diagonal lines inside the boxes, etc.) also works for polynomials.

After all, multiplying polynomials is the same procedure as multiplying whole numbers; instead of using base 10, polynomials use base X.

So any method for multiplying whole numbers (that is based on place value) will have an analog with polynomials. For students who truly understand WHY a particular multiplication algorithm works, applying the method to polynomials is straightforward. For students who can do an algorithm, without understanding why it works, extending to algebra is difficult, at best.
salbright
Posted 2/20/2010 9:15 AM (#2717 - in reply to #2641)
Counts on fingers & toes

My students seemed to like foil better. I was surprised because doing it the way that they are used to doing multiplication, seems like it would be so much easier, an extension of something that they already know, but it didn't work that way!
kmhall
Posted 3/3/2010 11:55 AM (#2750 - in reply to #2641)
Counts on fingers & toes

I show both methods and allow the students to use what works best for them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software