Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"A Mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems." (Paul Erdös)
Opinions for/against on-line textbooks?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> General discussion (through 2017)Message format

nfeese
Posted 8/13/2009 10:23 AM (#2480)
Subject: Opinions for/against on-line textbooks?
Math

Yesterday, California released a list of digital textbooks that meet their state high school math and science standards. These are full-length textbooks that can be downloaded free of charge.
See the list at: http://www.clrn.org/fdti/

Wondering what do you think?

Would this be something to investigate for FCPS/for math/for a particular course/??
Thanks!
ccprek
Posted 8/17/2009 9:40 PM (#2481 - in reply to #2480)
Subject: RE: Opinions for/against on-line textbooks?
Math

I love this idea. I just spoke with a student today about online textbooks and she was pumped at the idea of not carrying around a bunch of unnecessary weight. Then she was disappointed to find out the advanced textbooks weren't available online. I'm sure the advanced students and general students would really appreciate easy accessibility instead of taking all these books home each night.

I enjoy using the online PH books during general geometry and algebra 2 class along with the CPS clickers. It is an easy way to add more examples with multiple choice answers in one click. The kids become more engaged when we use it and they can easily sign up at home to study whenever they want. All and all---I'm for it. I heart technology/making life easier.
mdmdavis
Posted 8/18/2009 9:23 AM (#2482 - in reply to #2480)
Math

Just wanna say, ditto what Candice said
bperry
Posted 8/26/2009 12:17 PM (#2484 - in reply to #2480)

Math

Let's buy every student an Amazon Kindle DX and get a book that is in PDF form
ccprek
Posted 8/26/2009 8:35 PM (#2485 - in reply to #2480)
Math

That would be really cool. I wonder what the first textbooks would really be. Maybe they will all be USBs....I digress.
amcguire
Posted 9/2/2009 1:49 PM (#2499 - in reply to #2480)
Math

I am for on-line textbooks. I love the fact that students would not need to take a book home. I love that it would be cheaper. I love that our students may find using an on-line text more interesting.

pgarr
Posted 9/2/2009 1:49 PM (#2500 - in reply to #2480)
Math

Awesome ideas! I totally agree that this is the way we should move - almost immediately. If anyone has other data on available "free" texts, please post.
bperry
Posted 9/2/2009 11:37 PM (#2504 - in reply to #2480)

Math

Algebra 2 or Advanced Algebra 2 pdf text at http://cnx.org/content/m19435/latest/ ...

I Wish that we could use the KETS funds to purchase Kindles for the RFP grant, but purchases must be research supported. THey are so new and it is only being tested at the college level and I would love for Fayette County to be in all the technology journals on how the kindle is working or not working as one of the first to try it. It is a perfect opportunity for math since we did not get funded for texts. Sorry, but I digress.....
dsharpe
Posted 11/4/2009 7:15 PM (#2556 - in reply to #2480)
Counts on fingers & toes

Somehow my post was placed in a new thread, so I will ask again...are these on-line textbooks in addition to or in place of traditional texts? Not all of our students can access computers at home.
bdurham
Posted 11/6/2009 6:20 PM (#2562 - in reply to #2480)
Math

Nothing will ever replace the look, feel, and smell of a crisp, new textbook in a student's hands. Then again, nothing will ever replace the slate boards, chalk, slide rule, or coal-burning stove in the center of the single-room schoolhouse. Right?

Actually, I do not care so much for on-line textbooks. I would prefer e-books that teachers could tailor to meet the needs of their classes. Of course, certain copyrights must be vacated by the authors of the source material, so these resources are not widely publicized (and certainly not by the textbook companies). These e-books usually arise out of university projects, and I am not aware of any such effort below the level of precalculus. There was a university (and I can't remember which one) that did this for introductory calculus, so students could by the university-produced CD for $7 instead of the traditional calculus textbooks that cost over $100.
tmullen
Posted 11/20/2009 8:07 AM (#2570 - in reply to #2480)
Math

For advanced kids it might be an acceptable option, however I am sure that a lot of my students can not afford to have a computer at home. However I would like to have an on-line text book that I could cut / paste and copy out of.... some ready-made cps questions and quizzes would be wonderful.

I also think real math is a book, chalk and a chalk board.... :-)
lwood
Posted 1/6/2010 9:31 AM (#2645 - in reply to #2480)
Counts on fingers & toes

I am for on line text books but think they need to be used in conjunction with hands on books. We should purchase a class set of "real books" to be used when needed in the classroom and also a few extra books for students without computers. Posting a link to the on line textbook on i school would be very helpful. I have used the on line CMP texts and the main problem I have is locating content because information is listed by Chapter and broad headings. Having the real text is still important for me to do an active search. This is probably also a sign of my computer skills.
salbright
Posted 2/20/2010 9:22 AM (#2718 - in reply to #2480)
Counts on fingers & toes

my son loves his kindle! I would love to see books be available for kindles. However, they are sooooo expensive I wonder if we would actually save money in the long run, if the school system had to purchase one for each student and then the downloads for each textbook. And then what happens when they lose them?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software