Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"Mathematics is the science of what is clear by itself." (Carl Jacobi)
New Seating arrangement
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> General discussion (through 2017)Message format

sshevlin
Posted 11/24/2008 3:41 PM (#2277)
Subject: New Seating arrangement
Math

I am now seating my math classes in pair share groups with my desks. I have been teaching math for 8 years and have always wanted to try this so here it goes. I ranked my students by grade and put them together with highest lowest and so on until I got a C with a C usually at the end. I put all the higher ranking kids on the right side of the pairs so when I ask them to do things by side I know which ones are more capable. I take advantage of the pairs for everything from notes to homework to classwork. I usually have them do a problem and then explain it to the other pair, back and forth. I also have them both do it and then argue over who is right if they don't agree and try and hash out who is right and why. So far it has worked well. It is a louder than normal classroom, but if that doesn't bother you, it is fun to see them discuss things with each other and actually teach each other. So we shall see how grades are affected.
slubbe
Posted 11/25/2008 8:50 AM (#2288 - in reply to #2277)
Subject: RE: New Seating arrangement
Math

Let us know how it works out.
ccprek
Posted 11/25/2008 9:34 AM (#2289 - in reply to #2277)
Math

This sounds like something that I can do with my 03 geometry. There are a few kids in the class that know everything instanly, so everyone tries to get their attention when working on stuff. This pair share grouping seems like it would give them a real chance to talk about the subject rather than asking someone for the right answer. I'm going to try it after the break.
bperry
Posted 11/25/2008 10:06 AM (#2294 - in reply to #2277)

Math

This would really work in a classroom with tables.
szehnder
Posted 11/25/2008 10:10 AM (#2298 - in reply to #2277)

Math

That sounds AWESOME! I love the idea and have been thinking about trying something new for the seating arrangement. Thanks for the idea
jbakewell
Posted 11/30/2008 10:46 AM (#2314 - in reply to #2277)
Math

I like this idea! I am curious though...are students aware of how they are paired? Has this caused any problems with the students who know they are the "less capable" student? I have experimented with this a couple of times when working in cooperative groups but am still working out how to ensure that each student is doing his/her part. Often times when I pair students like this, one student relies on the other to do the work. How do you handle this in your classroom? I am anxious to hear how I can implement this idea in my classroom!
bdurham
Posted 12/1/2008 9:20 AM (#2319 - in reply to #2277)
Math

I have done something similar in the past. Unfortunately, if you stick to the order, the top students may resent having to work with the absolute lowest. I would suggest taking the top half of the students in one group and the bottom half in another, then randomly pair a student from the first group with one from the second.
chill
Posted 12/3/2008 8:36 AM (#2329 - in reply to #2277)
Math

I am going to give this a try before the semester is over. This sounds like a great idea! It may not be something that I will use all the time, but it is another good teaching strategy to use to diversify daily activities.
mdailey
Posted 12/11/2008 9:10 AM (#2340 - in reply to #2329)
Math

I like this idea. I'm curious to know how long it takes for students to figure out the seating arrangement. I like the idea of not always pairing the highest student with the lowest. I think this seating chart is excellent because it should help all students and keep everyone busy. I have tables in my classroom. I might try it out at the beginning of next semester.
kgillum
Posted 3/2/2010 11:34 AM (#2739 - in reply to #2277)
Counts on fingers & toes

Right now I have students seated in groups of 4 with at least one high student in each group and do some of the same think pair share activities. I think I may try doing just groups of two to see how that works, maybe put them back into rows almost with a little space between each table. I like having the kids all face the same way and right now they're not. This will be a nice change!
BobbieG
Posted 3/2/2010 9:53 PM (#2744 - in reply to #2277)
Counts on fingers & toes

I redo my seating chart to "randomly" help each other every 3 weeks. I use the Infinite Campus "auto sort" on the seating chart page. Most of the time is arranges them well, but I always have a few I have to change up. It saves some time, though.
sshevlin
Posted 5/5/2010 11:10 AM (#2772 - in reply to #2277)
Math

Unfortuneately it did not affect grades. I did it the whole 2nd semester last year and grades stayed about the same. I even would repair kids up if I felt that their pair was not working out well. Bummer.
tmullen
Posted 5/5/2010 11:15 AM (#2776 - in reply to #2277)
Math

I like to mix it up when it comes to seat charts for my 9th graders, some days we work in groups of 4 (I choose) or some days its working in pairs (I have tables that seat two).

I notice that behavior seems better for a few days because it breaks up some of the comfert level. I don't let them swtich becuase they'll only be in their seat for a few days....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software