Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"Geometry is a skill of the eyes and the hands as well as of the mind." (Jean Pedersen)
Algebra 1 (substitution method)
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> Lafayette Discussion areaMessage format

kloliver
Posted 11/13/2008 12:12 PM (#2248)
Subject: Algebra 1 (substitution method)
Math

When you teach the substitution method, do you only give the students examples where x and y are already solved for? I don't see the purpose of using the substitution methond unless they are solved for. I guess what I'm trying to say, is why make it harder than it needs to be?
mdmdavis
Posted 11/24/2008 3:36 PM (#2272 - in reply to #2248)
Subject: RE: Algebra 1 (substitution method)
Math

I agree, that is why there are methods other than substituion. We talk alot abut which method to use and why substitution is good for this problem and why elimination is good for this one and graphing good for that one. If I give them some not solved for , on rare occasion, it's just x+..... so that's really easy to solve.
ccprek
Posted 11/25/2008 9:41 AM (#2291 - in reply to #2248)
Math

I agree with you guys. Even when my alg 2 students used elimination on their exam when they were asked to use the substution method for a problem not solved for the variable. I had to take points off for not following instructions, but those were much easier using elimination that substitution.
acrowley
Posted 12/1/2008 7:54 AM (#2317 - in reply to #2248)
Math

It definitely makes sense not to give the students too many examples where they have to solve for one of the varaibles first. Thanks for the idea!
slucas
Posted 12/19/2008 12:03 PM (#2352 - in reply to #2248)

Math

I agree, we will need to adjust the material if we are going to do it. I think we need to improve our consistency in this chapter. I did it with my double block where we already had the variable solved for and they did a lot better than my regular class.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software