Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"Geometry is a skill of the eyes and the hands as well as of the mind." (Jean Pedersen)
graphing calculators
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> Lafayette Discussion areaMessage format

ncrawfor
Posted 10/27/2008 4:05 PM (#2222)
Subject: graphing calculators

Math

What graphing calculator skills do you think we should teach our Algebra 1 students? I just got a set and am supposed to get my own navigator. Woohoo!

Edited by ncrawfor 10/27/2008 4:09 PM
kloliver
Posted 10/27/2008 4:10 PM (#2225 - in reply to #2222)
Subject: RE: graphing claculators
Math

So far, I have only taught my kids how to use the fraction function. I have not shown them how to graph a line yet; however they know how to submit me linear equations using the navigator.
slucas
Posted 10/27/2008 4:11 PM (#2226 - in reply to #2222)

Math

I don't know how to use the navigator, they still scare me. Basically I am just getting my students comfortable with the calculator and try to keep them from making silly errors. They need to get comfortable with the difference in negatives and minus and using parentheses. I don't use the graphing functions, does any use the graphing function?
ncrawfor
Posted 10/27/2008 4:12 PM (#2227 - in reply to #2225)

Math

I am looking forward to being able to do that. I only received the calculators and not the navigator...

I did show them how to graph an equation and how to change their decimal answer to a fraction. Is there anything else they need to know right now?
jbakewell
Posted 10/29/2008 6:28 AM (#2230 - in reply to #2222)
Subject: RE: graphing calculators
Math

Other than "math enter enter" which you already got, I help them get really friendly with the PARENTHESES.

And when you get your navigator lessons from one of our resident pros (AC and KH!) I would really like to come and learn too. This is a piece of technology I would like to know more about.
acrowley
Posted 10/31/2008 2:39 PM (#2241 - in reply to #2222)
Subject: RE: graphing calculators
Math

I also like to show them how to use the absolute value functions. Then when we graph absolute value in Algebra 2, they already know where it is. I also show my Algebra 1 students how to plot a box-and-whiskers plot in the calculator.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software