Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"Mathematics is the science of what is clear by itself." (Carl Jacobi)
"Exit Slips"
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> Document sharing (through 2014)Message format

kxjohnson
Posted 10/3/2008 12:27 PM (#2174)
Subject: "Exit Slips"
Math

So, we are supposed to do Exit Slips. The thought though of a million slips of paper that need to go through my hands gives me nightmares. Also, I want to see if they understand a concept before they leave, not after. So, here's my solution to both issues. First, I want them to do their "Exit Slip" right before starting on their HW. That way I can go around and check for answers, and address any issues, while they get started on their HW. Also, I wanted one sheet of paper that would hold multiple days worth of work to eliminate little slips of paper. There was one final problem to solve--I don't want to call it an "exit slip" and imply that is the last thing they are doing for the day. So, a SMUGI was born. It stands for "Show Me U Get It." I pronounce it "SMUG-EE", as in you get to feel just a tiny bit smug if you get it right. Its just an organized way of getting kids to show me their work and has a totally cute name.

Here is the SMUGI sheet Ronni typed up.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments smugi.doc (28KB - 591 downloads)
bperry
Posted 10/4/2008 12:00 AM (#2176 - in reply to #2174)
Subject: RE: "Exit Slips"

Math

I hear that SMUGI's are working great! As long as you can remember what SMUGI stands for ... :}
mdailey
Posted 10/22/2008 8:33 AM (#2209 - in reply to #2174)
Math

That's a great concept. I like how you eliminated the title because I think Exit Slip does imply that once they finish they are done for the day. I also like how students can put multiple days on one sheet.
scole
Posted 10/22/2008 9:34 PM (#2211 - in reply to #2174)
Math

Kate -

What a cute idea! I love it!
Thanks for sharing.
slubbe
Posted 10/24/2008 10:48 AM (#2214 - in reply to #2174)
Math

I like your idea, a lot of us do something similar, but we call is a Daily quiz, but covers for at least 5 sections.
ccprek
Posted 1/22/2009 11:51 AM (#2366 - in reply to #2174)
Math

I love the SMUGIs and so do the kids. It puts a little excitement into the daily when I tell them to get out the SMUGIs.
apiatt
Posted 9/2/2009 1:44 PM (#2494 - in reply to #2174)
Math

I really like this idea. I'm going to share with teachers at Crawford. Thanks!
dhmartin
Posted 10/28/2010 12:48 PM (#2845 - in reply to #2174)
Math

I print a blank spreadsheet from infinite campus and the beginning of each unit. As I circulate the room I check exit slips, if they are correct I place a check next to their name on my spreadsheet. If incorrect I conference with student and then place a check next to their name. I never collect their slips and at the end of class I know when they leave whether or not they "got it". This decreases my paper work and makes it managable. At the end of the unit I tally the scores and give the students a formative assessment grade. Just and idea
DHMartin
ngreer
Posted 10/28/2010 12:53 PM (#2855 - in reply to #2845)
Counts on fingers & toes

I like the ease of this. But how do you prevent "cheating"? It seems that by the time I get around to everyone to check individually (without collecting) that answers start to be shared among students ...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software