Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"To deny, to believe, and to doubt well are to a man as the race is to a horse." (Blaise Pascal)
scheduling alg 2
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> General discussion (through 2017)Message format

mgraves
Posted 2/25/2008 9:43 AM (#2016)
Subject: scheduling alg 2
Math

Has anyone thought about scheduling alg2 after alg1 and before geometry. I know alot of schools do this but I havent heard of any here in fayette county. My principal is asking me why dont we do this? Any thoughts?
mdmdavis
Posted 2/25/2008 6:08 PM (#2017 - in reply to #2016)
Subject: RE: scheduling alg 2
Math

I've always wondered that as well..... Plus, since most of first semester is spent reviewing Algebra 1....seems like more could be accomplished if they had not forgotten so much with the year between. Didn't they schedule a ton of kids for Geometry AND Algebra 2 last year? How has that worked out?
rtallent
Posted 2/25/2008 8:25 PM (#2018 - in reply to #2016)
Math

I read this on ERIC:

"There is also a growing case for Teaching Geometry before Algebra; new research (based on the findings of Piaget, Montessori, Snow, and Thompson) indicate that when adolescents learn patterns and objects first they understand the focus of Geometry; learning the facts of geometry is more concrete and easier than the abstract code found in algebraic algorithms."

Also see an article from The Mathematics Teacher v81 n4 p236,298 Apr 1988
According to the article abstract:

"Argues that reasons for teaching geometry before second-year algebra include higher student achievement and attitude and better abstract thinking. "

A couple of places to start reading.

ldewees
Posted 3/3/2008 12:17 PM (#2022 - in reply to #2016)
Math

I would think, too, that it would great for them to have had all of geometry before state-wide testing as well as a review of algebra in prep for the exams.
dhmartin
Posted 5/15/2008 1:32 PM (#2042 - in reply to #2016)
Math

Since geometry is a state requirement I believe the students need to take it as soon as possibe, ie their sophomore year for most. Now that Alg 2 is going to be a state requirement as well I don't see why the order can't be flexible. As long as students complete alg 1, geom and alg 2 before they graduate the order really should not matter. This is my opinion. Donna H Martin
slubbe
Posted 5/15/2008 1:34 PM (#2045 - in reply to #2016)
Math

I believe that it was that way do to state requirements, and we are just now requireing the alg II for all students. I think that order will not matter as much. I think they might grasp the concepts easier with maturity.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software