Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"Archimedes will be remembered when Aeschylus is forgotten, because languages die and mathematical ideas do not. 'Immortality' may be a silly word, but probably a mathematician has the best chance of whatever it may mean." (Godfrey Hardy)
ACT practice
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> Lafayette Discussion areaMessage format

ncrawfor
Posted 1/10/2008 9:50 AM (#1967)
Subject: ACT practice

Math

I wonder how South Oldham High School is preparing their juniors for the ACT. They were already doing so much to prepare for CATS...
ncrawfor
Posted 1/15/2008 2:35 PM (#1981 - in reply to #1967)
Subject: RE: ACT practice

Math

OK, I will reply to my own post.

I think we should make a notebook(folder on K drive) of Flashbacks for each class - Alg 1, Geo, Alg 2 - at a minimum. We should assign them for the student to do and then ever so often we should give a test over the topics that were covered. These topics should be from past math courses so that the topics are not forgotten (hopefully). We should also have a notebook of problems that would focus on PLAN and ACT. We are doing great on having ORQs for each level. We need to keep up the good work on those. I do agree with Mr. McKenzie on giving feedback and making them work on an ORQ until it is a 4. I know that in the general level classes that may take some work and they are the ones who can least afford to lose time on instruction of core content. We may need to reduce the number of ORQs given and improve the quality of work that goes into doing one.

Is this doable? I don't know. It seems like time is the enemy...

I look forward to a response from anyone.
nfeese
Posted 1/16/2008 2:00 PM (#1985 - in reply to #1981)
Math

Margaret Graves has started a collection of ACT questions and you all are thinking on the same page. Her BSHS math teachers are helping with the plan (divide and conquer) by subject.
ncrawfor
Posted 1/16/2008 2:27 PM (#1987 - in reply to #1985)

Math

I am having a conversation with myself...what does that tell you?? Plus, the time thing. We are require to do so much above and beyond without compensation. I understand why no one wants to take on anything else. Heck, I am only talking about it...

Maybe I will try and get that going and see if others will jump in and help. People will rise to meet the expectation, right?
nfeese
Posted 1/16/2008 7:51 PM (#1989 - in reply to #1987)
Math

I was thinking that Margaret will SHARE her math department work with all the schools. No need to reinvent wheels! They would love it if we took what they developed and improved as well!
ncrawfor
Posted 1/17/2008 11:32 AM (#1991 - in reply to #1989)

Math

That would be great especially if they have it electronically so it would be easy to edit if necessary.
nfeese
Posted 1/17/2008 12:15 PM (#1993 - in reply to #1991)
Math

Yes, it is all electronic.
ldewees
Posted 1/23/2008 4:51 PM (#1999 - in reply to #1967)
Math

I'm curious what South Oldham was doing to review for CATS? Why did you all pick them to go observe?
ncrawfor
Posted 1/24/2008 2:06 PM (#2000 - in reply to #1999)

Math

I believe our administrators thought their school was similar to ours but it was not.

They gave warm ups daily and after they had reviewed a certain topic from the past, they would give a test over the warm ups. They worked together to make these up and spent time in class if the students had forgotten how to do certain skills. Also, all of their chapter tests included topics form past chapters so the students could not forget. They had a big bank of ORQs and a templete they used when that created a new one. They gave ORQs frequently. They also spent extra time during classes with juniors reviewing core content and tried to make sure every junior was at Alg2 or above. They also have a freshman summer camp they invited students to attend. They were on block sheduling not the rotating 4x4 block like us.

Their scores were good and they really felt that what did in preparation was the reason. They had good leadership in the building from the principal we talked with on down. The principal that we talked with sometimes teaches a math class. This helps him stay in tune with what the teachers are dealing with on a daily basis.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software