Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." (Albert Einstein)
Algebra 1 Failures
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> General discussion (through 2017)Message format

saclark
Posted 12/13/2007 9:33 PM (#1875)
Subject: Algebra 1 Failures
Math

With the move from part 1 to all freshmen taking Alg. 1 it seems like we might have more kids failing first semester than normal. Is any other school seeing this issue with the transition? If so, what are you going to do? We've talked about offering 1st semster during 2nd semester, but I was curious if any other high schools have any plans yet?
ssewell
Posted 12/18/2007 10:45 AM (#1896 - in reply to #1875)
Subject: RE: Algebra 1 Failures
I am definitely curious about this also from seeing the huge gaps in my classes with content knowledge. what are we going to do?
acrowley
Posted 12/18/2007 1:56 PM (#1903 - in reply to #1875)
Math

At Lafayette we have two everyday Algebra 1 classes going on, and I have found this to be really succesful. The problem is catching the kids who would benefit from the extra time who are not behavior problems. My class has no real behavior problems (knock on wood) so the kids are doing well, but Sarah's class is just the opposite- full of behavior issues (which is like my class last year). It is difficult scheduling the kids in the right classes from middle school.
slucas
Posted 12/18/2007 2:39 PM (#1907 - in reply to #1875)

Math

I would like to second Ali with the double block. It is very difficult for me to teach in my double block class, thus having more failures. After some investigating I have found that the students who are failing my Algebra I, every day or not, are failing at least 3 of the 4 core classes. I think this is a bigger issue than just math. Are the kids just not prepared for high school at all this year? Or is there a learning gap?
ccprek
Posted 12/21/2007 10:23 AM (#1945 - in reply to #1875)
Math

I may not have the experience to back this up but I don't think half of my kids were ready to go straight in to algebra. Some of it is due to behavior problems but also because they cannot handle the math. Many students still struggle with integers foremost and have trouble equations of lines/graphing even after many efforts to reinforce the material. I suspect these were the students that would be in part 1 and they just can't handle the pace. I'm hoping next semester will be better and not worse considering how far behind they already are. Many of the students are doing Plato after school to make up their credit.
tmullen
Posted 1/8/2008 8:31 AM (#1959 - in reply to #1875)
Math

I don't really see the larger picture. However, I have a huge range of ablitlies in student performance. Most of the students I have just do not seem to care at all. I don't know what to do. I call home and nothing changes so I guess there isn't much I can do.
Some of them do care a little but they have no foundation of math ablities. They get stuck on anything with a fraction, or a negative addition/subtraction is beyond them. Polynomials are hard to teach if they don't understand fractions.
mgraves
Posted 2/25/2008 9:41 AM (#2015 - in reply to #1875)
Math

I have been thinking about looking at student scores from middle school, PAS? and determining whick students need to be in the daily alg 1 class ( we have 3). I am finding that alot of those in the daily alg1 are behavior problems and not necessarly aptitude problems. If we could truly help those with low ability then I would think we would not have the failures. Ideally we need ALL 03 level classes ( alg1, geo, alg2) taught daily!
saclark
Posted 5/15/2008 1:31 PM (#2041 - in reply to #2015)
Math

I actually send an e-mail to my feeder middle schools and get the current 8th grade teachers to recommend what students need to be in our everyday alg. 1 classes. I tell them that I am looking for students who are well behaved and hard workers but just really struggle with math in general. I also ask them to give names of students who are generally present in school since if a kid is absent a lot - being in everyday Alg. 1 will hurt them even more because they'll miss double the work!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software