Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." (Albert Einstein)
UK College of Engineering TEAMS competition
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> Resources (through 2012)Message format

nfeese
Posted 11/12/2007 11:06 AM (#1780)
Subject: UK College of Engineering TEAMS competition
Math

The University of Kentucky would like to invite you and your students to participate in a local competition with national recognition. TEAMS, Tests of Engineering Aptitude, Mathematics and Science, is a unique and challenging academic program and competition that helps prepare students for tomorrow’s world--today. Get your students to work cooperatively and think critically. TEAMS will be held February 16, 2008 at the University of Kentucky.

Schools may register as many teams of four to eight students in grades 9 through 12 as they wish. Varsity teams are open to any grade level, while junior varsity teams are limited to students in grades 9 through 11. There are different divisions based on school enrollment size and admissions criteria. The TEAMS competition is a one day, two part academic competition coordinated by the Junior Engineering Technical Society (JETS). Teams from across the Commonwealth will answer multiple-choice pre-engineering questions in the morning, and respond to open-ended questions in the afternoon. Students build their problem solving skills across several academic areas, and learn to work cooperatively as group members during the competition. The experience is designed to introduce students to an “engineering team” work environment. Students will compete for local, state and national awards and recognition.

TEAMS is an excellent pre-engineering extracurricular event. Participating in TEAMS will allow you to experience engineering at the University of Kentucky through tours, presentations and hands-on activities offered by the College of Engineering faculty. You can register at www.jets.org/teams. Registration begins October 1, 2007 and ends January 15, 2008. You may register multiple teams of 4 to 8 students. There are two different levels at which your team(s) may compete: Varsity (9-12) and Junior Varsity (9-11). Register early! The cost is $175 per team and $125 for each additional team. Please send your registration fees to:

UK College of Engineering Outreach
TEAMS
364 Ralph G. Anderson Building
Lexington, KY 40506-0503

Check out the JETS-TEAMS website for the Coaches guide, previous exams, and answers at www.jets.org/teams

Please make note of the following exciting changes for the 2008 TEAMS event.
New Competition Theme!
While TEAMS test questions and problem topics have always focused on real world contemporary issues, for the first time in TEAMS history, these topics will revolve around one central theme to coincide with the 2008 Olympic Games, TEAMS will challenge students to take a behind-the-scenes look at the engineering involved in large-scale athletic events.

T-Shirt Design Contest!
Shell Oil is sponsoring a t-shirt design contest, challenging TEAMS students to channel their creative side and design a t-shirt that incorporates the theme of the competition. The winning submission will be featured on complimentary t-shirts given to all participating teams, as well as on the cover of the TEAMS test booklet. As an added bonus, the team from which the winning submission came will have their registration fees covered by JETS. (Yes, that means everyone will get a TEAMS t-shirt this year!)

Cash Prize!
For the 2008 competition, JETS will award a grand prize of $5,000 to the top national performing team, regardless of division, level, or state. This will be determined by combining both the Part I and Part II scores, so teams must do well in both parts to truly call themselves the grand prize winner.

Most Improved Award!
In addition to highlighting the top performing team, JETS will also recognize the school with the most improved Part I score. For 2008, a plaque will go to the school whose Part I score increased the most from 2006 to 2007, and for the 2009 competition, this award will be based on scores from the 2007 and 2008 competitions.

Challenge Scenarios!
JETS will release the Challenge Scenarios, formerly known as the competition problem statements, in sets of two scenarios every two weeks beginning in early October via the JETS website. This staggering of information should help pace teams in their preparation, as well as continually drive individuals back to the web to discover new monthly updates.

Alignment with Standards!
To make it even easier for high school teachers to incorporate TEAMS into their school year, JETS will align TEAMS to the national math, science, and technology standards, and will outline how participating in TEAMS can fulfill some of the national education requirements.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

James Ballard
Assistant Director of Engagement/Outreach
University of Kentucky
College of Engineering
364 Ralph G. Anderson Bldg
Lexington, KY 40506-0503
(859) 257-0553
erickenb
Posted 11/12/2007 10:28 PM (#1782 - in reply to #1780)
Subject: RE: UK College of Engineering TEAMS competition
Math

This looks good but I don't think my kids are quite ready. I've got my hands full!!!
mdmdavis
Posted 11/13/2007 1:11 PM (#1784 - in reply to #1782)
Math

Then go for the most improved award for 2009!!
ldewees
Posted 11/15/2007 3:51 PM (#1791 - in reply to #1780)
Math

I looked at sample problems last year and then decided it was not for me. It is a lot of science. The Physics teacher put together a team and they did very well. You might forward the info onto the Science dept and see what they think.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software