Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"A Mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems." (Paul Erdös)
missing part 1?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> General discussion (through 2017)Message format

szehnder
Posted 10/5/2007 7:54 AM (#1672)
Subject: missing part 1?

Math

Is anyone else a little overwhelmed by the different levels of students in your algebra I classes?

I took a poll (using the CPS!) and in each class...1/2 the kids have taken algebra I before (either in 8th grade or are repeating it as freshmores) and 1/2 have never seen the material before at all.

I'm finding it difficult to differentiate the instruction for the kids in the class. I feel bad for the ones who are bored and even worse for the ones who need more time to catch on to the material.

What are you all doing to fix this problem in your classes this year? What about next year...are you offering anything different?
rtallent
Posted 10/5/2007 8:04 AM (#1673 - in reply to #1672)
Subject: RE: missing part 1?
Math

My problem is different. I have algebra I upper first period. I have 30 enrolled in the class. I average 12 absent everyday and 6 tardies every class period. (and it is never the same twelve absent; always the same six tardy) It should not surprise you to find out that 10 are passing and twenty are failing.

I agree with you in that we need some type of fix/discussion.

ccprek
Posted 10/5/2007 11:50 AM (#1674 - in reply to #1672)
Math

My classes are the same way. The ones that had algebra last year answer all the questions and are bored/annoyed about going over the material again. They must not be taking the entrance exam seriously or do not want to go to advanced geometry. I've been giving the accelerated kids their homework after a little bit of notes to refresh their minds and then let them work on it during class. THis has seemed to help because many of the quiet students feel comfortable answering questions because of the slower pace.

Any other suggestions for this rookie would be lovely.
dhays
Posted 10/7/2007 8:28 PM (#1675 - in reply to #1672)
Math

May I state the obvious? How about some peer tutoring? Once a student can demonstrate that they understand the material, pair them up and see if they can explain it to the others. Of course, this will have to be monitored closely by the teacher.
szehnder
Posted 10/8/2007 9:39 AM (#1677 - in reply to #1675)

Math

I have actually tried that. But I am having a problem getting the kids who understand it to be willing to teach other students. Some of them don't feel comfortable with tutoring the student in the material and some of them don't feel comfortable with the students (the coolness seems to be a factor).

Even when i do get them to work together...its usually because the students are friends, and it becomes a social hour.

Also, we sped through the first 2 chapters of algebra I...because in all reality the students should know it by now, but unfortunately its just not that way...they don't understand adding and subtracing integers. The kids who already had it were totally bored going over it again at all and the kids who hadn't had algebra before needed more time on that particular topic.

I think creating an Advanced Algebra class for kids who couldn't pass the placement exam or are taking it over again would be ideal. Think of all the really cool topics we could cover if we spent less time on the first 3 chapters!

ldewees
Posted 10/9/2007 3:12 PM (#1680 - in reply to #1672)
Math

One of the problems I encountered early was that some of the kids who knew how to do everything wanted to yell out the answers. I quickly pulled out the communicators so their "yelling" was done on a marker board and the other kids kept going. So maybe the use of some device would be useful.

We just started slope and you can really see the difference in the kids. It's painful to think about how fast we just scooted some of those kids through topics (solving eqns for instance) that we would have spent weeks and weeks on in Part 1. Granted, there's not that many that needed to be in Part 1, but there are some. And now half of them have seen slope and half haven't. It's going to be interesting.

It is certainly a challenge. I've discovered, though, that the kids who have had it before still make little errors so at least we're correcting some things. They don't seem to like it when they are told their marker board answer is wrong.

tmullen
Posted 10/10/2007 8:47 AM (#1686 - in reply to #1672)
Math

I have the same problem. The gap between the students is HUGE. I have several kids with 99%'s and others in the low 20's. Some kids already know everything and others really can't even add without a calculator.

I am curious as to what a marker board is, and how you use it. I am looking for a better way to check the work of slower students who never seem to get a chance to answer questions in class.
ldewees
Posted 10/10/2007 2:27 PM (#1689 - in reply to #1672)
Math

The Communicator is what I use. It's a clear plastic sleeve with a piece of paper in it. The kids use dry erase markers to write their answers on it and then they hold it up to show me their answer. The back of the piece of paper has a coordinate plane. They flipped it over and graphed lines on it today. It's quite handy. I love mine. I use it sometimes in my higher level classes if we are doing something that's multiple choice for quick feedback.
ccprek
Posted 10/10/2007 4:08 PM (#1691 - in reply to #1672)
Math

I also enjoy using the communicators in my classes. Everyone participates and asks questions. The other students feel comfortable showing the boards to each other if someone's answer is wrong. They say, "here, look at mine," when before they wouldn't normally explain it to each other. The chapter 3 tests were MUCH better than the first two tests though. I think calculator use really helped out the lower level students. Some of the "part 1" kids are not able to conceptualize integers, which probably caused the most problems in the beginning.
szehnder
Posted 10/15/2007 9:21 AM (#1694 - in reply to #1689)

Math

I use small personal whiteboards for the same effect...one problem i have had though is what the kids do when their problem is correct and you're still waiting for the "slower" students to finish the problem.

Do you put up a group of problems at the same time and have kids work each one at a time or do you put up one problem.

My quicker students will finish fast and then socialize rather than help struggling students.

How have you been able to curb this in your classroom?
ccprek
Posted 10/15/2007 11:36 AM (#1695 - in reply to #1672)
Math

We do one problem at a time. If some finish quicker than others I let them hold on to their answers and show them/explain them to the others after a certain time period. They seem to watch the others around them that are struggling so they can show them how to do it.

Are there any other suggestions from the veterans?
erickenb
Posted 10/21/2007 8:27 PM (#1710 - in reply to #1672)
Math

I also have very different levels in Algebra II. Many who do not know Algebra I. Maybe we also need Alg II part I & II !!!! At least we need math EVERYDAY!!
szehnder
Posted 10/25/2007 3:41 PM (#1740 - in reply to #1672)

Math

I am so totally frustrated right now with my Algebra I students.
We are TRYING to write the equation of the line and they tell me they don't remeber how to solve an equation like 2 = -1*3 + b!

My kids are extremely low in both skill and motivation. They are talkative (what teenager isnt) and care very little about learning the math behind anything.

I am struggling to get through this chapter, and really don't think i can get through everything in semester 1 curriculum before exams...without leaving some students behind. And i guess our current goal is to leave no child behind, so what do i do?

Keep going over the same material for days, or move on and leave those who don't know it in the dirt?

HELP!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software