Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." (Albert Einstein)
Lexmark Teacher Institute
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> General discussion (through 2017)Message format

rgoin
Posted 8/23/2007 12:28 PM (#1550)
Subject: Lexmark Teacher Institute

Math

Lexmark teacher institute

I went to the Lexmark teacher institute this summer and learned lots of new things. Companies stated over and over again that high school is not preparing students effectively for the work force. Two companies (KU and Toyota) stated they give a math exams (including other subjects like reading comprehension) that applicants must pass BEFORE they are given an interview.

KU has a practice test online at http://www.eon-us.com/careers/testing.asp You should all go see the exam and by the way the applicants are NOT allowed to use a calculator. If you teach geometry a few have great figures! EVERYONE at KU must pass this basic test – even the line men that climb the poles.

To see the exams go to http://www.eon-us.com/careers/testing.asp on the right side of the screen click on practice test. The User Id is EON-US and the password is test. On the left side of the screen there is a list of different jobs, click on any of them and the different tests the applicants must take are listed. Really go check them out!!!!
nfeese
Posted 8/23/2007 8:14 PM (#1553 - in reply to #1550)
Subject: RE: Lexmark Teacher Institute
Math

WOW! Thank you for sharing. This will be very insightful. Did you see Roger's article on Monday in the Herald Leader?
ssewell
Posted 8/28/2007 10:22 AM (#1561 - in reply to #1550)
This sounds great. I wish I would have went now.
This would be a great way to show students what some of their options are and that testing for these jobs almost always has math skills that we are teaching them.
I am definitely going to check them out
thanks
rgoin
Posted 8/30/2007 3:33 PM (#1564 - in reply to #1550)

Math

Natalie - I did see Roger's article (DeeDee gave it me). He got it exactly right. I especially liked the part of the article that talked about companies are stressing the importance of being on time, taking responsibility, etc. So many of our students have a problem with this. I was hopeful in thinking that once our students were being "paid" to go to work they may actually be punctual - but I guess not!
rgoin
Posted 8/30/2007 3:35 PM (#1565 - in reply to #1550)

Math

Samantha - If they offer this institute next year, you should apply. I learned so much. If you want to discuss anything we learned or places we went just ask me. Did you know there are Biologists and Chemists at lexmark???? I didn't and my husband works there!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software