Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"Mathematics is the science of what is clear by itself." (Carl Jacobi)
CPS is awesome!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> General discussion (through 2017)Message format

scombs
Posted 8/14/2007 3:20 PM (#1526)
Subject: CPS is awesome!
Math

Today I gave the pre-test for the MILC Algebra 1 Unit 1 to my students and had them answer via the CPS unit. It was so easy to set up and the students liked seemed to like it. I sat at my computer and could see every answer as it was submitted and I knew immediately how many students had missed each question, how each student did individually, and how the class did as a whole. I printed out a summary that told me everything I needed to know. Best of all; I don't have to go home and grade it! Awesome!

Who else has given this a test drive?
dhays
Posted 8/30/2007 6:43 PM (#1569 - in reply to #1526)
Subject: RE: CPS is awesome!
Math

I have used it several times in all my classes. You are right. It does everything that the higher ups are wanting us to do, which is to assess and adjust. I hate to say this, but right now I prefer the CPS over the Navigator. Shhhhhh!!!!
rgoin
Posted 8/30/2007 9:20 PM (#1570 - in reply to #1526)

Math

I can't wait - I just got a laptop and plan to use the CPS next week. I will let you know how it goes - I'm very excited!!!!

Bryson - I need the software for CPS loaded on the laptop that Ms. Rob gave me . . . sorry another Damsel in Distress!!!!

Edited by rgoin 8/30/2007 9:21 PM
slucas
Posted 9/8/2007 9:04 PM (#1580 - in reply to #1526)

Math

I used it with my Double Block Algebra I to review Chapter 1 and they loved it! They asked to use it the next day.

Has anyone figured out how to use the test generater easily? I am having trouble finding questions I want without having to look at every single one.
rgoin
Posted 9/12/2007 11:53 AM (#1593 - in reply to #1526)

Math

Is there a way to send the students scores back to them through the CPS? Some students asked me to send them their scores, I didn't know how or if it was even possible.
ssewell
Posted 9/13/2007 3:18 PM (#1598 - in reply to #1526)
Yes
I tried this today and it was awesome. easy to use for me and the students
will try again tomorrow!!!
rgoin
Posted 9/13/2007 3:21 PM (#1599 - in reply to #1526)

Math

Samantha, I'm going to make our Algebra 2 test for Chapter 2 CPS ready, would you like to use it!!! I think it would be great to see the break down of what questions the students missed the most.
ssewell
Posted 9/14/2007 3:27 PM (#1602 - in reply to #1526)
I think that is awesome. you are the best.
I was thinking that, this would great for the final. That way we could have a great break down of what students struggled with and would could make adjustments in our teaching for the next year. Not to mention the huge time saving ability in a busy time of year.
rgoin
Posted 9/14/2007 4:41 PM (#1603 - in reply to #1526)

Math

I never thought about that. Having the break down of what questions they missed is really going to impact our teaching, not just for next year - but for everyday use. I really enjoyed immediately knowing who was on task and what questions students were missing.
How did the students do on the ACT questions you gave them? I'm going to give my students those problems the day after their next test. Some of my students are taking an ACT course and they stated they learned some different ways to "guess" that they said they would share with the class.
ssewell
Posted 9/17/2007 12:12 PM (#1605 - in reply to #1603)
ACT questioning was great. It was very obvious that we need to spend some time on those questions. Maybe pulling the CPS on every test and then a little ACT when they are done. it never hurts anyone to practice their math skills and by using the CPS we can see exactly what content need to be revisited.
rgoin
Posted 9/17/2007 12:32 PM (#1606 - in reply to #1526)

Math

I think that is a great idea. I have an ACT book that we can pull problems from. We can have them do the problems after their test (to be completed for homework if they do not finish in class) Then have them enter their answers into the CPS the next day. I think it is important for them to do the problems in a "timed" situation (like the ACT) but lets first work on them at least trying to complete the problems themselves.
I will bring in my ACT book and we can copy a few pages.
dhays
Posted 9/17/2007 9:03 PM (#1610 - in reply to #1526)
Math

I haven't seen this much excitement since math portfolios were discontinued!! As we continue to administer ACT type problems we should also try to convey some test taking strategies along the way. Other than the obvious (working backwards from the answers, trying to eliminate 1 or 2 answers and guessing) does anyone have some other test taking strategies specifically for taking the ACT that they can share?
rgoin
Posted 9/18/2007 9:50 AM (#1612 - in reply to #1526)

Math

Some of my students are taking an ACT course and said they would share the stratgies they have learned with the class on thursday. I will let you know.
ssewell
Posted 9/18/2007 10:26 AM (#1614 - in reply to #1612)
take notes, i would love to share those with my students also.
if you get a chance, you should post that worksheet for the CPS that gives a hard copy when testing. i found it very useful.
rgoin
Posted 9/18/2007 10:53 AM (#1615 - in reply to #1526)

Math

what are you talking about? The hard copy - I'm so confused
ssewell
Posted 9/18/2007 12:14 PM (#1616 - in reply to #1615)
the paper with the test numbers and then a place for them to put their remote number.
i really like it, instead of using a scantron and wasting those.
rgoin
Posted 9/19/2007 12:49 PM (#1618 - in reply to #1526)

Math

Didn't you use that sheet to put down the percentage of kids that got each question correct? That was a real eye opener. Definitely lets us know what to work on with them both for this year and next.
tmullen
Posted 9/20/2007 8:41 AM (#1623 - in reply to #1526)
Math

I am borrowing the CPS from the math department and I can't wait to give it a try. I just installed the softwear today: Any tips for a first time user?

Travis Mullen STC
tmullen
Posted 9/24/2007 3:07 PM (#1637 - in reply to #1526)
Math

Tested out the CPS today, using a hard copy sheet. Very cool. Students liked the feedback.
szehnder
Posted 10/5/2007 7:51 AM (#1671 - in reply to #1637)

Math

I just started using the CPS! It is AWESOME! My kids LOVE them and its a great way to go over pretty much anything.

I did our Chapter 3 practice test on the CPS...had the kids work on it for about 30 minutes then used the CPS to go over the answers. The kids knew right away if they were getting them right or not...what to study for the test next class...and I knew what questions I needed to go over in more detail for the whole class without working every problem.

I'm really interested to see how the actual test scores compare to the scores they received on the review!
rfarquha
Posted 10/17/2007 9:15 PM (#1704 - in reply to #1526)
Math

I have done the same in my geometry classes. The students seem to like using the keypad and seeing the results before they leave class for the day.
awilkerson
Posted 10/25/2007 9:19 AM (#1735 - in reply to #1526)
Special Ed

I have used the CPS with my resource classes several times. they love it. Ones who previously wouldn't try on a millionaire game are now engaged because it is anonymous. I am excited to try my next stats test with the CPS. Not sure exactly how to make that work, but I'll figure it out. I know there are some kids who like the immediate feedback, and by that I mean the end of class, and I just can't give it to all of them..... Until now.

I've liked it so much that our tech people are writing an RPF (not sure if that is right) to get several more for our building and the special ed. department in particular. Hoping that works out so I don't have to run upstairs and get them from math, not that they aren't willing to share.
jlreed
Posted 10/29/2007 8:46 AM (#1747 - in reply to #1526)
Math

I also love the fact that I can generate a personalized study guide for any student. There's a report that will show a student which questions he/she missed WITH the correct answers. I can print it out to send home or e-mail it to parents. Pretty awesome!!
awilkerson
Posted 12/12/2007 8:54 AM (#1837 - in reply to #1526)
Special Ed

I also like the personalized study guide. Now if only I could get my kids to care about it and take it home. I seem to have the most un-motivated and lazy group of kids this year.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software