Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"'Obvious' is the most dangerous word in mathematics." (Eric Temple Bell)
Final Exam Prep
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> HCH Discussion areaMessage format

smosier
Posted 11/28/2006 10:38 AM (#1365)
Subject: Final Exam Prep
Math

Hi! I was wondering how you handle the preps for finals? I like what we are doing in Geometry, making notes to go with problems, writing up problems to go with the final, doing a 'fun' activity, and an open response review! Does this work, help??? I haven't figured out what to do with Algebra 2, where there is already a review written, but may write up notes that students can work along with me, and do problems like on the review and final! What do you think?!?!
dhays
Posted 11/28/2006 11:27 AM (#1366 - in reply to #1365)
Subject: RE: Final Exam Prep
Math

In the past I have let some of my classes use a 1" by 1" (one side only)note card to use on their final. They will think about the most important items that they have a hard time remembering and place this on this very small cheat sheet. Usually, they don't even look at it during the final, but some of them will take time deciding what to place on the card. Therefore, they probably will do a bit of studying to make up their card.
mcahill
Posted 11/28/2006 12:08 PM (#1367 - in reply to #1365)
Along with all this, I know some of us are using Navigator to do some fun reviews... maybe we could meet one day next week to get a quick refresher course over how to set it up and run it? Its been awhile...
rgoin
Posted 11/28/2006 12:34 PM (#1368 - in reply to #1365)

Math

For algebra 2, I was planning on spending a couple of days on the review. In class, I will be doing "similar" problems to the ones on the review that was given to us. Then for homework each night the students will have to do the problems on the review sheet. As I review in class, I will write quick reminders for each type of problem as we do them. Does this make sense?
ldewees
Posted 11/28/2006 12:57 PM (#1370 - in reply to #1365)
Math

In Part 1, I will probably be using the communicators. It's really hard to get the kids to pay attention after they have tried the problems. They don't seem to care if it's right or wrong. I haven't done that in the past, but maybe it will help this time so that they will actually check their work, similar to Navigator, I'm sure!
rgoin
Posted 11/28/2006 1:56 PM (#1371 - in reply to #1365)

Math

Thats a great idea! Does anyone have an extra classroom set I can use?
smosier
Posted 11/29/2006 10:23 AM (#1375 - in reply to #1365)
Math

I like the index card.cheat sheet idea that kind of tricks them into studying by way of researching the equations they want on their card...that is really a cool way to look at it! I do have a question though for Linda...what are communicators?
bperry
Posted 11/29/2006 8:11 PM (#1377 - in reply to #1365)

Math

Anyone needing some help with a Navigator let me know... I can help some next week... I have Mrs. Hays Scheduled for Monday for TI Learn Check if anyone would like to join us, Tuesday is Faculty Meeting, Wednesday is Milc, Thursday is open...
dhays
Posted 11/29/2006 8:35 PM (#1379 - in reply to #1365)
Math

Shelley,
The communicators are those plastic sleeves that the kids can write on with a marker and then erase with a cloth. They hold them up after completing a problem so you can see their answers. I think they just like doodling on them and then erasing them and also to see who gets done first. (Have some rewards waiting...candy!) I have one set it my room that you can borrow. I will order more if we need them.
dhays
Posted 11/29/2006 8:39 PM (#1380 - in reply to #1365)
Math

Bryson,
The help that I need is more about creating learning checks and I also have some questions with Math Type. I appreciate the help.
smosier
Posted 11/30/2006 7:43 AM (#1381 - in reply to #1365)
Math

OK!!! Thank you Dee Dee!!! Now I know what communicators are!! I have a nice classroom set of whiteboards, that come with wipes and markers...I use those alot in Part 2! One side has graphing side, the other is plain white! Anyone can borrow these that want to also!!! Didn't think about the candy though...might help some of my more 'reluctant' students!!!
bperry
Posted 11/30/2006 8:08 PM (#1389 - in reply to #1365)

Math

no longer available on thursday... Monday will be about making learning check and some MathType questions
dhays
Posted 11/30/2006 8:25 PM (#1390 - in reply to #1365)
Math

Bryson and Renee,
Have you thought about PC. final? Perhaps you can take a look at what I have (including the review) and see if you want to revise or use. I got the questions off the Test Generator which I seem to have misplaced.
ldewees
Posted 12/1/2006 1:17 PM (#1394 - in reply to #1365)
Math

Shellie,
I use candy in the following way. Students show me their answers. I assign them a number if they get it correct....1,2,3.... I then randomly generate a number and that person wins the candy. That way your slower students will keep playing because speed is not the goal. Getting the correct answer is the goal.
dhays
Posted 12/2/2006 11:52 AM (#1397 - in reply to #1365)
Math

Speaking of candy....Next semester Math has 2nd lunch. I have my Part 2 class 4th hour. I place a piece of candy on their desk upon their return to class after lunch. They appreciate the gesture and it seems like they will get back on task because you did something kind for them. I only do this occasionally, but they seem to respond to it in a positive manner. I also teach them some manners, like saying 'thank you!! '
rgoin
Posted 12/2/2006 7:39 PM (#1398 - in reply to #1365)

Math

That is a great idea, both the candy and reteaching manners
rgoin
Posted 12/2/2006 7:42 PM (#1399 - in reply to #1398)

Math

Dee Dee,
I will come by Monday morning to pick up a copy of the precalc final to look at. Did you like the final in the past, or did you find questions that need to be replaced or reworded? Was it the correct length? Do you have a review for it?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software