Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." (Albert Einstein)
New Stuff This Year
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> PLD Discussion areaMessage format

bekennedy
Posted 11/13/2006 10:26 AM (#1300)
Subject: New Stuff This Year
I am the online leader for Novemeber, so I am starting a new post. What is one new thing you have done this year for the first time in your career? Has it worked? Will you use it again?

I have been using the Test Generator for Calc in order to make multiple choice/short answer tests. My tests this year are more similar to the format of the AP Tests. I guess I won't really know if it works until they have taken the test.
szehnder
Posted 11/13/2006 4:49 PM (#1307 - in reply to #1300)
Subject: RE: New Stuff This Year

Math

Doesn't really apply to the students exactly...but I changed my gradebook from the one they give us here at school to a binder. Ms. Tallent, I student taught with her, kept all of her grades in a binder and printed a roster from STI when she ran out of room. This is a whole lot better for me bc I always have a current updated role without erasing the entire list of names or adding it on at the bottom...and i have a ton more space to write down the assignments. I can actually right down exactly what I assigned instead of just section whatever.
I think I'll do the same thing next year too...its also nice to have all of the grades and important student info in one place. I also keep the grades that are sent when i get a new student in my binder.
slubbe
Posted 11/14/2006 9:52 AM (#1308 - in reply to #1307)
Math

I am taking a slow start, but right after thanksgiving I would like to utilize the TI Nav for 2 alg II topics. I also have created a learning check but have not used it yet, I also entered in my algebra I part 2 class roster for the learning check that I intend to use next chapter, which is also after t-giving. I am excited to use this equipment. I haven't added any multiple choice questions to tests, but I think I will try to during 2nd semester.

I am just getting adjusting to being back, I have had 2 starts to a school year, which has its challenges.
jrarnold
Posted 11/14/2006 1:43 PM (#1309 - in reply to #1300)
The Worst... Kennedy this is jsut a magnificent post!!! Did some new stuff for Permutations and Combinations that we will present in December (maybe) and doing ALL new stuff for AP Stat. You are such a great leader Kennedy!!
saclark
Posted 11/16/2006 12:41 PM (#1319 - in reply to #1300)
Math

I've been keeping a bin for all the make-up work for my always absent part 1 students so I don't have to fumble around to find worksheets when they actually appear in class.

I'm also putting some multiple choice questions on each alg. test i'm giving. This seems to be helping some. students are finding new ways to get the right answers if they don't know how to truly solve the problem. We're also doing a new order of teaching in alg. 1 and i really like the flow. We are going from solving equations to graphing and systems which is nice because the students are good at solving equations and this helps with slope-intercept form and the substitution method for systems.
awilkerson
Posted 11/27/2006 10:24 AM (#1339 - in reply to #1300)
Special Ed

I have made a few tweeks to the way I make my students keep their notebook. Some seem to really benefit from it but then there are others who still can't keep it together. I am trying to work with all of them, but it seems like the ones who care about keeping their notebook in order are doing better.
jlreed
Posted 11/27/2006 5:14 PM (#1354 - in reply to #1300)
Math

I've tried using our school's CPS system. I LOVE it. It allows you to monitor student engagement AND provide immediate feedback. So it provides very similar functionality to the TI Navigator with 1/2 the set up (more like 1/100th of the set up).

Maybe we can get a CPS system next year from milc??
jlreed
Posted 11/27/2006 5:15 PM (#1355 - in reply to #1300)
Math

LOL Stinson.....is that seriously a picture of your cat? nice
bekennedy
Posted 12/5/2006 12:29 PM (#1413 - in reply to #1300)
Do you think that we should have some sort of vocabulary section on our core content finals, along with orq's and multiple choice (especially geometry)?
mdailey
Posted 12/5/2006 1:40 PM (#1416 - in reply to #1339)
Subject: keeping a notebook
Math

Keeping a notebook is a thought that I am toying with. I like that it forces students to be organized and hopefully they keep better track of things. How do you incorporate the notebook into your class? Do they get a grade for it and how often? Do you allow students to store their notebooks in the classroom? I'm lucky if students bring paper and pencil to class.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software