Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"An expert problem solver must be endowed with two incompatible qualities, a restless imagination and a patient pertinacity." (Howard W. Eves)
TEAMS competition information from UK engineering
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> General discussion (through 2017)Message format

nfeese
Posted 11/1/2006 12:36 PM (#1243)
Subject: TEAMS competition information from UK engineering
Math

TEAMS is coming to UK

TEAMS, an annual competition for high school students with an interest in math, science and engineering, will come to the University of Kentucky campus February 24, 2007.
Nationwide, TEAMS (Tests of Engineering Aptitude, Mathematics and Science) brings together more than 14,000 students and 700 educators from around the nation to solve real-world engineering challenges. Problems in the competition will be connected to current issues in the news, including alternative energy resources, environmental protection, flood control, air transportation and more.
At UK, about 20 teams of four to eight students from schools across Kentucky are expected to compete in a fast-paced environment designed to inspire teamwork, creativity, and critical thinking. Competitors will answer multiple-choice questions as a team, and will submit a team-written description and defense of the open-ended questions. Problems are at college freshman level, and are created by university engineering faculty and students. Students may use open books, open notes and open discussion to find answers.
“TEAMS is a fast-paced, exciting opportunity for high school students to ‘try on’ engineering in the first-class UK College of Engineering facilities,” said Dr. Deborah Besser, director of program outreach for the College. “Just as real engineers work in collaboration with other professionals, the TEAMS event simulates the synergy that peers create when challenged to find creative solutions to real problems.
“Kentucky Academic Coaches are some of the best and most experienced in the nation due to the strong Governor’s Cup tradition,” Besser continued. “These experienced coaches or other qualified advisors, such as math and science teachers, are encouraged to challenge their students to take part in this national opportunity.”
A 2007 TEAMS Coach Guide and past event problem challenges are available to help coaches and teams prepare, she said.
“We’re excited about bringing this national event back to campus,” Besser said. “The UK College of Engineering wants to continue to draw the region’s best and brightest, and in turn empower these students to rewarding and exciting careers.”
TEAMS is part of JETS (Junior Engineering and Technical Society), an organization that works to increase interest and awareness of engineering and technology-based careers through competitions, assessment tools, career guidance resources, materials for parents and counselors and other resources. TEAMS does not conflict with the Future Problem Solving & Composition events and students interested in FPS will find the skills honed in FPS to be complementary to the TEAMS event.

TEAMing up with E-day; $1,000 scholarship to be awarded

February 24, 2007, is also Engineers Day Open House at UK, and TEAMS competitors will have the opportunity to participate in e-day activities, including tours and student projects.
Also on e-day, the UK College of Engineering TEAMS site will award a $1000 scholarship to each participant of the winning varsity team. This scholarship is available to students that are accepted and attend UK College of Engineering and is renewable up to four years.

Contact information:
Dr. Deborah Besser
College of Engineering, Program Outreach
University of Kentucky
351 Ralph G. Anderson Bldg
Lexington, KY 40506-0503
(859) 257-6336 x80640

On the web: http://www.engr.uky.edu/outreach/TEAMSnewsrelease.htm
UK College of Engineering Program Outreach www.engr.uky.edu/outreach
TEAMS program www.jets.org/teams
JETS www.jets.org

ldewees
Posted 11/8/2006 1:12 PM (#1288 - in reply to #1243)
Subject: RE: TEAMS competition information from UK engineering
Math

I looked into it because I am pretty sure I competed in it when I was in high school ( or something incredibly similar). I was pretty excited about maybe that possibility of working with a group of students on some application type stuff. They have the problem statements and it seems to be really more of a science test. There's a lot of physics!
It would be really cool if we had the funds available to let our students compete in math competitions. I don't even know what all is out there, but when I was in high school we competed yearly in several different math competitions - The TEAMS, Cumberland College's Math Competition, Eastern's Math and Science Competition. It was a lot of fun. I looked forward to it. I wish our kids had those opportunities because we have some very mathematically gifted students that never really get to show off what they have learned.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software