Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"Geometry is a skill of the eyes and the hands as well as of the mind." (Jean Pedersen)
chairs meeting today
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> HCH Discussion areaMessage format

dhays
Posted 10/10/2006 7:52 PM (#1146)
Subject: chairs meeting today
Math

There was discussion at the chairs meeting today about the emphasis that needs to be placed on open response items. One idea was that each core content area be designated as "open response week". Each teacher in that core subject will choose a day in that week and will only work on open response. The key is showing students how to move from a 2 to 3 or a 3 to a 4. This can be done by getting the students to score their own papers or to allow students to score each other's paper. Then try to find a student in the class that scored a 4 and share that with the rest of the class. It was suggested that the student be permitted to redo the open response item (yes, even after you went over it) and then turn it in for a grade. This way (even though they really just copied) they can at least practice and see what makes a 4 a 4. Although this will take time initially, eventually the students will know what it takes to score a 4 and won't be so time consuming down the road.
Let me know what you think of this idea. (Mr. Nochta is lying in bed thinking of ways for us to improve our scores. Ya gotta give him credit!!)
rgoin
Posted 10/11/2006 1:11 PM (#1157 - in reply to #1146)
Subject: RE: chairs meeting today

Math

I think it would be good practice for the students and should help raise scores. I try to do an open response once a chapter in every class, would this suffice or is this supposed to done every week? I think it would take up far to much class time to do it every week.
mcahill
Posted 10/11/2006 6:20 PM (#1165 - in reply to #1146)
Subject: RE: chairs meeting today
I also do two per chapter, one together and one on thier own. However, I do see the benefit of giving a few open responses in a day that are not necessary directly tied to the material we are working on currenly since CATS pulls from several different topics. Maybe a few in one day is too much, but maybe spread them out as openers over the week?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software