Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"To deny, to believe, and to doubt well are to a man as the race is to a horse." (Blaise Pascal)
fishing for points
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> HCH Discussion areaMessage format

ldewees
Posted 10/3/2006 1:01 PM (#1108)
Subject: fishing for points
Math

Remember the fishing for points activity? How about using it in Alg 1 if you are at plotting points. I know when I taught Alg in the past, I would use cookie cutters so the kids could trace a figure and then find the points. For Halloween you could easily get cookie cutters of ghosts, pumpkins, a witch's hat for your specially selected kids, etc. In fact, I have a box of 100 cookie cutters so if they don't even want to do Halloween objects, they can use just about anything!
It would also be a great reason to bake for the kids!
rgoin
Posted 10/3/2006 1:14 PM (#1110 - in reply to #1108)
Subject: RE: fishing for points

Math

I have done the cookie cutter activity too. One year I had them plot the points in the calculator to graph. They loved it!
bperry
Posted 10/3/2006 3:28 PM (#1116 - in reply to #1108)

Math

I have a pumpkin full of cookie cutters.
ldewees
Posted 10/4/2006 7:58 AM (#1123 - in reply to #1108)
Math

Another idea - I used to tear off the bottom half of the paper with their points that they wrote down. Then i passed them around the room and gave the kids more graph paper and they graphed their classmate's points to see if they could come up with the original picture. It's a quick and easy way to check....just make sure they don't yell out what they are graphing so everybody already knows when they get a paper.
smosier
Posted 10/4/2006 8:15 AM (#1124 - in reply to #1108)
Math

I have a beginner activity that does graph a pumpkin, and then day 2 graphs 'tumbling blocks quilt pattern' sort of a 3D pic that they can use to find lines parallel, equations, slopes, x & y intercepts, etc!
rgoin
Posted 10/5/2006 11:26 AM (#1128 - in reply to #1108)

Math

Bryson you're so festive
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software