Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I assure you that mine are greater." (Albert Einstein)
New Topic...Geometry and Origami!!!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> General discussion (through 2017)Message format

smosier
Posted 9/28/2006 9:55 AM (#1076)
Subject: New Topic...Geometry and Origami!!!
Math

I thought it would be fun to change the topic to something that is fun for all!!! (no deep thinking involved!!! LOL!!!) This is the 2nd year I have done origami in general geometry to introduce the congruence chapter (4)! I have one student from last year (one of our senior football players!!) who still remembers that lesson, and still has his pig! How cool is that?! (We make pigs, hopping frogs, and star boxes) Anyway, I am always looking for sights that talk about origami and math, and found one with a 'starter' origami lesson using the whale!! http://www.mathinmotion.com/whalefld.html I am going to look it over for next year, and maybe punch it up a bit for high school, but thought you might like to hear how much the students enjoy doing it, and really remember it!! I think this year I am going to try to incorporate using the figures we make for beginning Chapter 4 (SSS, SAS, congruences,) for later in the year, maybe trig functions...will let you know..but it would be fun to bring them back out after a while and use them!!! Anybody else use origami for later lessons...different pieces..etc?? Always interested in origami!!! For those who aren't use to origami 'stuff', the whale is a good starter pattern!!!
kxjohnson
Posted 9/29/2006 1:06 PM (#1080 - in reply to #1076)
Subject: RE: New Topic...Geometry and Origami!!!
Math

I saw the origami last year, and it was so neat. It is a really good way to incorporate something that does "feel" like math into the classroom. Especially with the general kids.

jday
Posted 10/30/2006 3:44 PM (#1231 - in reply to #1076)
As a part of Math Geek Week at Asbury Colleg, there is an Origami Exhibition at the Kinlaw Library on the campus at Asbury, Oct 30 - Nov 3. They have contests and prizes (I think tomorrow - Oct 31). I just learned about it from one of my students. Sounds pretty cool.
jday
Posted 10/30/2006 3:45 PM (#1232 - in reply to #1076)
oops - that is Asbusy College. I need spell check.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software