Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"An expert is someone who knows some of the worst mistakes that can be made in his subject, and how to avoid them." (Werner Heisenberg)
Communicators!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> HCH Discussion areaMessage format

ldewees
Posted 9/6/2006 9:06 PM (#982)
Subject: Communicators!
Math

Hey, All. I just want to encourage you to use the communicators if you have a set handy, especially if maybe you are trying to get a class under control. I have a pretty rowdy Intro this year and we have already started using them. It keeps the kids on task because they have to show me answers. We'll do almost a whole worksheet together in class. I give them credit for working, they get lots of practice, that's one less paper I have to grade, and then when I only give them one page to do when we are done I think they feel like it's less work. Plus they try a little harder because they hate to keep getting problems wrong in class. And they love to write with markers! Granted, this may not last forever, but it's working now.

I offer candy. I randomly generate a number so maybe the 7th or the 10th person to show me the right answer wins. Bags of bulk, cheap candy are in stores now!

Margaret came up with a great idea. She and her husband took some of those old white boards I offered up at the beginning of the year and she created her own boards by cutting them up!

I know it's the great-great grandfather of Navigator, but it's something I can handle.
rtallent
Posted 9/6/2006 9:20 PM (#984 - in reply to #982)
Subject: RE: Communicators!
Math

I did the same thing today with geometry but I used cardstock in page protectors. We drew two lines cut by a transversal and I had students label different pairs of angles. They could hold their "boards" up high or if were unsure could hold them down low. Once they saw they had the right answers they would hold their cards up higher. It was a real confidence builder.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software