Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"To deny, to believe, and to doubt well are to a man as the race is to a horse." (Blaise Pascal)
FLASH
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> Older DiscussionsMessage format

scombs
Posted 2/10/2006 12:57 PM (#632)
Subject: FLASH
Math

Fellow MILC people,

I have nearly finished the “Game” portion of the Roulette Table that I have been creating. While there may still be some minor changes that need to be done, I have completed the code necessary to make the game work.

There is an instructional part of this which I am now turning my attention toward. I foresee sort of a slide show at the beginning which will review the concepts of probability, odds, fair games, etc… and talk about the game roulette. My goal here is not to promote the game of roulette or any other gambling for that matter. In fact, I have personally never played (the real thing) and don’t gamble (except for the occasional NCAA pool of course). What I hope is to educate students so that they can make informed decisions about such matters understanding that the odds are stacked against them and that over time, the theoretical probabilities will tend to be good predictors of how much money they will lose and how much money the “house” will gain as a result of the “house advantage”. I want them to see mathematically how this advantage is created and works against them.

You guys can help me out a little if you have time. Creating this application turned out to be much more complicated than I anticipated and it resulted in many pages of code. While I think everything runs correctly, it is certainly possible that there are some “bugs” in the program which need to be fixed. It would be nice to find and fix those items prior to having students use it. If you could take a little time to carefully play the game a few rounds and make sure that your chip calculations are correct, that would be a big help to me. You will find it at http://www.staff.fcps.net/scombs/roulette.html.

To play, first click on the button that says “Get a Chip” This will cause one chip to drop out of your stack (I give you 20 at the start of the game). Click on this chip and drag it to the square on the table of your choice. You can then either click on “Spin The Wheel” or you can click “Get a Chip” again to continue wagering. After you spin the wheel, the board will clear, and your winning will be added to your stack of chips. At this point you can continue to play as long as you don’t run out of chips.

Here is a description of the types of wagers and their payouts:
(Note: There are 63 different squares on this board which corresponds to 63 different wagers that can be made)

You can wager on any single number (“Straight Up”) from 0 to 36 and 00. Each of these wagers has a 1/38 chance of winning. If you win on any of these, you get back whatever chips you wagered plus you get 35 additional chips for every chip wagered (i.e. 36 chips) while if you lose on any of these squares; you just lose whatever chips you wagered. (35 to 1 payoff)

You can also wager on an entire column (not including 0 or 00) by placing your chip at the bottom of the column in the square with the arrow pointing upwards. Since there are 12 numbers in each column there is a 12/38 chance of winning. It you win, you receive your chips back and two additional chips for ever chip that you wagered. (2 to 1 payoff)

You can wager on the numbers in each row (“Street”) by placing your chip in the square to the right with the arrow pointing left towards the row. Of course you would have a 3/38 chance of winning. If you won, you would receive your chips back that you wagered plus 11 additional chips for ever chip wagered. (11 to 1 payoff)

You can wager on an Even number or an Odd number, on a Black or Red, on a number from 1 to 18 or on a number from 19 to 36 by placing your chips on these spaces. (Note that 0 and 00 are always losers on these type of wagers.) Each of these wagers has an 18/38 chance of winning and pays “even money”. That is, if you win, you get your chip back plus one additional chip for each chip that you wagered. (1 to 1 payoff)

You can wager on the 1st 12, the 2nd 12, or the 3rd 12 numbers (“Dozen”). Each of these has a 12/38 chance of winning. If you win, you receive your chip plus two additional chips for every chip you wagered. (2 to 1 payoff)

Thanks,
Steve
bperry
Posted 2/10/2006 2:06 PM (#634 - in reply to #632)
Subject: RE: FLASH

Math

The two things I found imperfect about the roulette were
1) My school monitor is so small I could not scroll up and place the chip on the top of the board very easily.
2) The chips disappeared before I could see what or if I won.

Just some ideas!
Bryson
scombs
Posted 2/17/2006 2:42 PM (#670 - in reply to #632)
Math

I do want to alter the program so that it will pause before cleaning the board so that the user can compare the board with the wheel results. As far as the size of your monitor, adjust your monitor setting to 1024 x 768 and you should see the whole thing. I know this will be a problem with smaller resolutions but the trade off is to make the board so small that it becomes hard to see and manipulate.
scombs
Posted 2/17/2006 3:12 PM (#674 - in reply to #632)
Math

I am making a could of simple simulations using flash such as a spinner which can have multiple regions. Rene and I talked about this. It could be used to have students get experimental data for many different experiments.
rgoin
Posted 2/21/2006 11:18 AM (#679 - in reply to #674)

Math

I don't know if you currently working on the game. I just tried to access the link and it would not connect me?
dgrupe
Posted 2/27/2006 3:44 PM (#698 - in reply to #632)
I played the game a little over a week ago. Besides just not knowing how to play the game enough to really enjoy it there were a few comments I could make.
I had a hard time with the screen having to move it up and down when placing the chips for bets.
If it could pause a little before clearing off all the chips that would also be helpful.
I guess for us novice players, some easier instructions would be helpful. I would like to someday visit my brother in Vegas and it would help my trip if I knew how to play this better - just kidding.
Other than that, I think it's a cool game and I think several students will take a liking to it.
Thanks
Dale
Administrator
Posted 3/17/2006 8:30 AM (#765 - in reply to #632)

Technology

Steve, congrats on a nice app! I think I am getting addicted to it
scombs
Posted 3/17/2006 2:29 PM (#767 - in reply to #632)
Math

Don't know who "Administrator" is but thanks for the comment.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software