Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." (Albert Einstein)
Roulette Game
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> Older DiscussionsMessage format

scombs
Posted 1/31/2006 10:20 AM (#595)
Subject: Roulette Game
Math

A work in progress but here is the first stage. I created a wheel that looks somewhat like a roulette wheel. I have the wheel and ball spinning in opposite directions and slowing to a stop. I then calculate the net rotation and use this to determine the position on the wheel. Right now I am just displaying this number in the center of the wheel but I will be doing more with it as the game develops. Click on the blue oval button to spin the wheel.

http://staff.fcps.net/scombs/roulette.html

Steve
scombs
Posted 2/10/2006 1:00 PM (#633 - in reply to #595)
Subject: RE: Roulette Game
Math

I have now nearly finished the “Game” portion of the Roulette Table that I have been creating.

There is an instructional part of this which I am now turning my attention toward. I foresee sort of a slide show at the beginning which will review the concepts of probability, odds, fair games, etc… and talk about the game roulette. My goal here is not to promote the game of roulette or any other gambling for that matter. In fact, I have personally never played (the real thing) and don’t gamble (except for the occasional NCAA pool of course). What I hope is to educate students so that they can make informed decisions about such matters understanding that the odds are stacked against them and that over time, the theoretical probabilities will tend to be good predictors of how much money they will lose and how much money the “house” will gain as a result of the “house advantage”. I want them to see mathematically how this advantage is created and works against them.

You guys can help me out a little if you have time. While I think everything runs correctly, it is certainly possible that there are some “bugs” in the program which need to be fixed. It would be nice to find and fix those items prior to having students use it. If you could take a little time to carefully play the game a few rounds and make sure that your chip calculations are correct, that would be a big help to me. You will find it at http://www.staff.fcps.net/scombs/roulette.html.

To play, first click on the button that says “Get a Chip” This will cause one chip to drop out of your stack (I give you 20 at the start of the game). Click on this chip and drag it to the square on the table of your choice. You can then either click on “Spin The Wheel” or you can click “Get a Chip” again to continue wagering. After you spin the wheel, the board will clear, and your winning will be added to your stack of chips. At this point you can continue to play as long as you don’t run out of chips.

Here is a description of the types of wagers and their payouts:
(Note: There are 63 different squares on this board which corresponds to 63 different wagers that can be made)

You can wager on any single number (“Straight Up”) from 0 to 36 and 00. Each of these wagers has a 1/38 chance of winning. If you win on any of these, you get back whatever chips you wagered plus you get 35 additional chips for every chip wagered (i.e. 36 chips) while if you lose on any of these squares; you just lose whatever chips you wagered. (35 to 1 payoff)

You can also wager on an entire column (not including 0 or 00) by placing your chip at the bottom of the column in the square with the arrow pointing upwards. Since there are 12 numbers in each column there is a 12/38 chance of winning. It you win, you receive your chips back and two additional chips for ever chip that you wagered. (2 to 1 payoff)

You can wager on the numbers in each row (“Street”) by placing your chip in the square to the right with the arrow pointing left towards the row. Of course you would have a 3/38 chance of winning. If you won, you would receive your chips back that you wagered plus 11 additional chips for ever chip wagered. (11 to 1 payoff)

You can wager on an Even number or an Odd number, on a Black or Red, on a number from 1 to 18 or on a number from 19 to 36 by placing your chips on these spaces. (Note that 0 and 00 are always losers on these type of wagers.) Each of these wagers has an 18/38 chance of winning and pays “even money”. That is, if you win, you get your chip back plus one additional chip for each chip that you wagered. (1 to 1 payoff)

You can wager on the 1st 12, the 2nd 12, or the 3rd 12 numbers (“Dozen”). Each of these has a 12/38 chance of winning. If you win, you receive your chip plus two additional chips for every chip you wagered. (2 to 1 payoff)

Thanks,
Steve
rmcquerr
Posted 2/10/2006 5:22 PM (#636 - in reply to #595)
Math

First...wrong web address, but i went to the first one in the thread.

B. Great job! I went broke, so i am assuming the game is set up right.

iii. It might be nice to see the payoff for certain bets.
rtallent
Posted 2/10/2006 5:32 PM (#637 - in reply to #595)
Math

Are you going to consider the corner bet (also called the square bet) where the chip is placed on the corner where 4 numbers meet? pays 4:1 if i remember correctly.

Either way, awesome fash! Great work.
scombs
Posted 2/17/2006 2:49 PM (#671 - in reply to #595)
Math

Good question on the corner bet. The payoff on such a bet would be 8 to 1. I may alter the game to allow for this but for now I just wanted to keep it simple. There are already 62 seperate bets which can be made and must be calculated. The corner bet would be tricky to get the chip to "snapp to" position properly as the position where the chip would be dropped would be so close to the position for individual squares. It could be done but for now, I just wanted to get things working on a simpler version. Maybe later...
jlreed
Posted 2/27/2006 5:06 PM (#703 - in reply to #595)
Math

WOW! Your wheel looks great! I don't actually know anything about roullette betting, but I do know you've got tons of flash happening in there
scombs
Posted 3/2/2006 9:16 AM (#725 - in reply to #595)
Math

I have completed one upgrade to the Roulette Flash. Now when you move your mouse to any position on the board, a display appears informing you how the bet works, the probability of winning, the odds, and the payoff. There are still some things that have been suggested that I plan to do to make the game better but I am getting there.

I would appreciate any feedback regarding this recent change. Do my explanations (on these displays) make sense? Suggestions for improvement?

Steve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software