Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
Mathematics Instructional Learning Community
The Mathematics Instructional Learning Community (MILC) Project is an alliance among Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS) math teachers focusing on:
  • Increasing the pedagogy and content knowledge of math teachers;
  • Integrating technology tools into everyday math instruction; and
  • Developing, implementing and revising units of study.
Questions regarding MILC? Contact: Natalee Mauney Feese, Fayette County Public Schools, MILC Project Director
Questions regarding technical website issues? Contact: Ryan McQuerry, Fayette County Public Schools, Supervisor of Software Development
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars |
You are NOT logged in. If you are a MILC participant, please logon by clicking here --> logon |  Not a member? register )

"Mathematics is the science of what is clear by itself." (Carl Jacobi)
FLASH - Roulette
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Archived Forums (Read only - No new posting)-> Older DiscussionsMessage format

scombs
Posted 1/31/2006 9:10 AM (#591)
Subject: FLASH - Roulette
Math

I have been working on a "Roulette Game". The first stage of the project is to come up with something that looks like a Roulette Wheel with a ball, and get it and the ball spinning in different directions for a random amount of time. Then have them both stop and calculate exactly where the ball is on the wheel. I have that working now. Check it out at this link. Click on the blue button to make the wheel spin.
This purpose of this game would be to teach and enforce topics related to "fair games", odds, probability, house advantage and theoretical outcomes. Part of the final FLASH project would be a tutorial. I could see taking a class to the lab for students to work through this individually. They could have a handout with questions they have to answer as they go through the presentation and then play the game.
Any suggestions?

http://staff.fcps.net/scombs/roulette.html

bperry
Posted 1/31/2006 9:21 AM (#592 - in reply to #591)
Subject: RE: FLASH - Roulette

Math

It appears the ball is moving at the same speed as the roulette wheel. If you speed the ball up would the effect be better? Just an idea. Great job Steve. Thanks for sharing. We may need a lesson plan or internet site to go along with the flash concept. We can work on that this afternoon.
scombs
Posted 1/31/2006 10:09 AM (#593 - in reply to #591)
Math

I should be able to make that happen. Good idea.

Here is a good web site regarding the game Roulette. Did you realize that the game was invented by our old friend Blaise Pascal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roulette
rgoin
Posted 2/1/2006 11:47 AM (#606 - in reply to #591)

Math

Great start to the roulette game! Could you make me a spinner using FLASH to use for demonstration?
thanks
nfeese
Posted 2/7/2006 11:55 AM (#619 - in reply to #606)
Math

Great job, Mr. Combs!!

This is the "hook" that many students need to get excited about probability!! Very engaging!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this topic
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software