ALG 1 TEACHERS - I NEED YOUR INPUT!
jbakewell
Posted 11/8/2009 10:20 PM (#2563)
Subject: ALG 1 TEACHERS - I NEED YOUR INPUT!
Math

After some great conversations at the RTI training I attended, I have started working on some of the ideas that were thrown around at that meeting. Lafayette currently has several double block classes to support students who need more time with the material (Algebra 1 and this year Algebra 2 also). I am working on a proposal for an alternative to the double block class for students who either need remedial work OR require varied representations of new concepts (hands-on activities, manipulatives, projects, etc.) In trying to figure out what the best focus would be to impact the greatest number of students I would like to get a bit of information from experienced Algebra 1 teachers about particular skills students lack that keep them from achieving success in Algebra 1. It has been a couple of years since I have taught the course and even then I have only taught 2nd semester.

If you could reply with a brief answer to the question below I would be most grateful!

WHAT ARE ALGEBRA 1 STUDENTS' SPECIFIC ACADEMIC (MATHEMATICAL) STUMBLING BLOCKS? (Examples from LHS feedback: inability to perform basic arithmetic mentally, working with fractions, etc.)
jbakewell
Posted 11/9/2009 5:47 AM (#2566 - in reply to #2563)
Subject: RE: ALG 1 TEACHERS - I NEED YOUR INPUT!
Math

Follow up w/ question #2:

APPROXIMATELY WHAT PERCENTAGE OF YOUR CURRENT ALGEBRA 1 STUDENTS COULD HAVE BENEFITED FROM SOME KIND OF REMEDIAL MATH? (Note: I'm sure most students could benefit from some degree of remedial work...I'm looking for the % of students who need remedial work to such a degree that that their success in Algebra 1 suffered significantly)
tmullen
Posted 11/20/2009 8:04 AM (#2569 - in reply to #2566)
Math

I teach Algebra I at Southside Technical Center

I would say that about 25% of my Algebra I students could use some EXTRA help with some basic math.

The number 1 problem would be operations with Fractions and number 2 adding subtracting real numbers +'s and -'s
BobbieG
Posted 12/31/2009 2:02 PM (#2624 - in reply to #2563)
Counts on fingers & toes

I teach Algebra at LTMS.
I find often the basic skills like fraction and integer operations impede students learning/being successful in Algebra. Those concepts definitely slow down the comprehension of new material.

Edited by BobbieG 12/31/2009 2:03 PM
salbright
Posted 1/6/2010 9:18 AM (#2634 - in reply to #2624)
Counts on fingers & toes

The lack of basic skills like working with fractions and integers impedes a lot of my students' learning abilities. Sometimes it takes twice as long to get the concept taught because I have to first go back and review the basic skills.
kmhall
Posted 1/6/2010 9:21 AM (#2638 - in reply to #2566)
Counts on fingers & toes

I teach Algebra 1 to 8th graders at Morton and approximately 20% of my students could use some additional Math help. These students do not have a strong grasp of the basics (number sense, fractions, percents, what division and multiplication should do to a fraction, multiplication facts) and this leads to struggles with the Algebra concepts.

Krista Hall
ldykes
Posted 1/6/2010 9:21 AM (#2639 - in reply to #2563)
Counts on fingers & toes

I would estimate that about 30% of my Algebra 1 students could use some remedial math. I think the biggest problem those students are having is just working with integers. Operations with positive and negative numbers are causing them problems. I also agree with the others that operations with fractions are an issue as well.
pgarr
Posted 1/6/2010 9:27 AM (#2640 - in reply to #2563)
Math

I have noticed that students who have the most difficult time with Algebra 1 concepts/skills are lacking mainly in two skills. The first is integer operations/concepts. I believe they would benefit from more real-world situations and problems to solve - using illustrations/drawings. The second concept/skill which is lacking that seems to hold them back is fraction calculations/concepts. These are both essential to algebraic calculations. In addition, some students need further 'explanations' on simple 'balanced' equations. Why do they need to "do to one side of the equation what they did to the other side?"
pgarr
Posted 1/6/2010 9:29 AM (#2643 - in reply to #2566)
Math

Although most learn very quickly, I would estimate approximately 30% of my students would have benefitted from remedial work.
awest
Posted 10/28/2010 12:51 PM (#2851 - in reply to #2563)
Math

Integer operations and fractions