Algebra I Chapter 1
slucas
Posted 9/8/2007 9:13 PM (#1581)
Subject: Algebra I Chapter 1

Math

Are there any suggestions for future years what we can do for students who already know chapter 1 when they enter Algebra I?
For some students it is the easiest chapter and I think this might hurt the students who really have never had any Algebra before.
saclark
Posted 9/11/2007 12:17 PM (#1590 - in reply to #1581)
Subject: RE: Algebra I Chapter 1
Math

Some of the suggestions i have given to other teachers in the past are that if a student already seems to know the material, they can either be assigned to help other students or i've also had them create tests/quizzes for bonus points and told them if they were good enough i'd consider using them. I've also asked them to write a notes sheet that i can give to students who were absent (I emphasize that it can't be just what i gave them in class, but need to be more detailed since they were present to hear me talk - this also helps me see if they really understand the concpets.)

My ideal would be to have two sets of Alg. 1 classes - one for students who had it in middle school and one for students who have only ever had pre-algebra - that would help us be able to go quicker in the beginning with the classes who have seen it before and take more time with classes we know will struggle with it. I don't know if you scheudle person would be willing to do this, but i think it would really make a world of difference, especially now that part 1 is gone.
tmullen
Posted 9/13/2007 8:04 AM (#1596 - in reply to #1581)
Math

I have the same problem in my classroom. I try to have the smarter kids work with the slower ones. I've noticed some of my better kids are very good at explaining the basic concepts.

I do wish my algebra kids did not have that large of a knowledge gap.
slucas
Posted 12/18/2007 2:53 PM (#1912 - in reply to #1581)

Math

I just wanted to update you all, in that I feel like the gap has gotten smaller as we have moved to harder material. I think that even the kids who are repeating Algebra I are getting stronger, which will help them further on as we all know.